Home · Programs · LYDIA Urban Academy · Urban Academy
LYDIA Urban Academy located in Chicago and Rockford
are accredited, non-traditional high schools that provide a safe, nurturing environment for students who may have experienced academic adversity in the past. With a Christ-honoring staff, we believe in empowering youth through education, advocacy, and discipleship. Each class is designed using differentiated instruction based on student interests, readiness, learning styles, and social-emotional needs.
LUA graduates earn a high-school diploma, not a GED (General Equivalency Diploma). This distinction is important, because employers place more value on a diploma, seeing it as an indication of the student's work-ethic, self-discipline, and future success. Graduates of LUA are able to enroll in both community colleges and trade schools.
LUA's core curriculum includes English, math, social studies and science classes that adhere to Illinois State standards for excellence. In addition, students are required to complete a curriculum of courses designed to develop the skills necessary for independent living. Examples of these types of skills are:
- Applying to and financing post-secondary education
- Obtaining and maintaining employment
- The ins and outs of credit, banking, saving, budgeting, and other components of personal finance
- Maintaining a healthy lifestyle emotionally, socially, physically, spiritually, and mentally
- Understanding and taking advantage of educational opportunities within the Chicagoland and Rockford area
- Learning the importance of serving in the community and having empathy for others